Sunday, May 18, 2014

Foam Glow 5K


I finished my first 5K this weekend!! It wasn't what I expected, but still an awesome experience!!

When we arrived, everyone was wearing all sorts of crazy clothes-- tutus and knee high socks and crazy glasses and glow sticks and faux hawk headbands... Pop music with too much bass and not enough treble blared through speakers as the crowd got pumped up for the race. Every ten minutes or so, they launched cannons of sudsy, shirt-staining neon foam on partipants.


For the "biggest black light event across the country" I kind of expected.... more black lights, or at least a lit course. As it was, with 8,000 people present, my dad described it as, "like running through Walmart on Black Friday...in the dark!" This part was a little unfortunate and Miss J was a little miffed.


More disappointing for me however was that even with our eight weeks of training I wasn't able to run the whole thing. This was probably due to a number of factors--feeling sick and still dealing with a nasty cough being the main one. I also have been chained to the house this whole last week so I couldn't run the last few days of our training. In addition, I think my initial pace was too ambitious, so I quickly got a side ache that forced me to walk.

All excuses aside, I ran as much as I could!! I finished the race and I was able to run for the last long stretch! I still cried, partly from disappointment and partly because my chest hurt so muh from trying to suppress my cough while running.


But the ice cream afterward was totally worth the effort. And now I have to sign up for another one so I can run the whole thing. Only this time, hopefully I won't be getting sick the week before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!