Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Jingling Johnny



This song has been playing on the radio a lot lately, and I love it! Not just because it's got an awesome, folk-sy, twang-y sound that resonates with the country girl inside me. And not because I've been learning how to play it on my mandolin. But because of one instrument they use call the "Jingling Johnny." Also known as the Pogo Cello, Boombass (Or Boombas, or Bumbas, or Boomba), Lagerphone, Stumpf Fiddle, Teufel Stick, Turkish Crescent, or Bladder Fiddle; the Jingling Johnny is usually a home-made instrument that varies based on the individual who makes it. Miscellaneous items (springs, tambourine-like devices, cookies sheets, bells, etc.) are attached to a wooden pole which is used as a percussion instrument. I wish I could provide a better picture of it; you'll just have to search for it in the video. Awesome song (and band!), fascinating instrument!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!