Sunday, January 19, 2014

The trouble with long-distance relationships


June 2013; this picture is my favorite <3 td="">
Jake left again for San Diego after church today. When people find out that we're long-distancing it, they always tell me things like, "Wow, that must be so hard." or "I would never be able to do that." as if long-distance relationships are the cause of some unbearable burden. My response usually goes something like, "Yeah, it's hard but we're good communicators and we make it work."

The truth is, long-distance relationships are hard, but not because they require work. Any relationship requires work. They're hard because you're constantly forcing yourselves to say goodbye. At the end of every visit, every break, every skype conversation, every phone call.... The rational part of me knows there will be many good-byes ahead of us; and I can't get hung up over each one.

You'll see him again soon.

I know, but this is my heart speaking--and goodbyes still hard. My throat still clenches, when I watch him drive away. I damn up my tears, priding myself too much on my ability to "keep it all together." But they always come out in the end and this time was no different. You'd think with time and practice, goodbyes would become easier, but I guess there are some things that never change and saying goodbye is one of them.

1 comment:

  1. There are so few goodbyes that I've said. I deem almost all of them "badbyes," or at the very least "sadbyes."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile!