Sunday, August 17, 2014

Small Steps of Faith

Used under CC0 license via Unsplash

Adrenalin rushing and heart pounding, I considered a radically different future than all my carefully structured plans could ever paint. Why? In a word, a book. Over the weekend, I finally finished reading David Platt's book Radical. The subtitle, "taking back your faith from the American dream" expresses Platt's examination of how the iconic concept of the "American Dream" has distorted and diluted the gospel message. Honing in on the command of the Great Commission, "Go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 20), Platt proposes that Biblical Christianity is much more radical than we've made it out to be in American culture. As I read, this book challenged me to re-think my mindset about my future and role in global mission work. The text convicted me to move but I didn't know where or how. Overwhelmed by the magnitude of the (im)possibilities before me, I began with one tiny step--reaching out. Indeed, there was an email collecting virtual dust in my inbox with two missions-related resources: Brad Voeller's contact info, and a link to GoCorps.org. 

I'd been meaning to contact Mr. Voeller regarding ESL teaching in China, but I was waiting until I was ready and available to go on a long-term teaching assignment. Essentially, I was waiting for the right time. With my commitment to teaching writing, I was ready but not available. Despite this little snag, I knew that if I didn't speak up now, I may not ever. His reply was many things: informative, gentle, encouraging, and visionary. "There is rapid growth in the Chinese church, but a huge need for leadership training," he mentioned, "Wouldn't it be amazing if you could take some of the things you have learned from the leadership courses and pass them on to students in China?" Isn't that an incredible vision? He asked a few questions concerning the kinds of opportunities I was looking for and promised to reach out to his connections in China.

Meanwhile, GoCorps is a program that enables college grads to use their degrees in the mission field to spread the gospel among unreached people groups. Unfortunately, this program would be a daunting two-year commitment but when I stumbled across their linguistics/story-telling track, I couldn't help the rising excitement inside me. This track involves language-intensive study with the purpose of translating key stories from Scripture into the people's language in a way that is easy to remember and retell over and over again. In this way, oral cultures that still exist can have access to the truth of the gospel without having to be literate. Last year's placements traveled to two countries in Sub-saharan Africa. Though I'm nervous about a two-year commitment overseas, this opportunity lines up so perfectly with my degree and interests (Stories! Language! Travel! Africa!) that I can't immediately discredit it. The new placements and application process will open again in mid-September, after which I am planning to apply.

I must confess that I approach this whole endeavor with much fear and trembling. There are so many questions and few answers. To do something like this would require sacrifices of all kinds--time, money, effort, and relationships. Am I ready to leave everything behind? No. No, I'm not. But I am taking small steps of faith to see if this is God's plan for my future. And maybe it's not. In 2013, Jake applied to study abroad in Quito, Ecuador for the 2014 fall semester and he even got accepted! In the end, circumstances prevented him from going, but just the simple act of applying was his step of obedience, and I believe God rewards that. So I am taking small steps too, and trusting the Lord to make my ways straight and clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!