Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Flood Zone


As Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix wrapped up, I yawned, thinking I should probably head home soon. But I changed my mind when a crack of lightning ushered in a torrential downpour. "Guess I'm staying for a little while longer!" I laughed. Right on top of us, the lightning blinded and the thunder deafened. I finally understood a phrase in the psalms about "shaking the foundations of the earth." This was not your average rain storm. An hour after it began, the rain let up enough for me to make the 20 minute drive home. I knew to be cautious, but the closer I got to home, the more I just wanted to be in the safety of our carport. And despite all my caution for the first leg of the trip, I still got told off by a police officer as I approached the last intersection before entering my neighborhood. Half the street was flooded and guarded by police cars to keep any more than the one stranded vehicle from passing through. "Slow down!! Look at the conditions!" admonished the officer. "Sorry!" I just want to get home. Shaken, and a bit shamed, by the officer's words, I drove slower the rest of the way home, squinting to see where the road was covered and how deep it might be.

We received two inches of rain across Tucson (at least!) and there was flash flooding at Saguaro National Park, leading to dirt road closures. There was even some flooding in our neighborhood! A woman was rescued from her car a few streets over yesterday! Phoenix was also hit pretty hard with flight delays at Sky Harbor and flooding in the Metro area. My dad even showed me a video of the Ritz-Carlton foyer which looked like it came out of the Jumangi movie! (An excellent movie for a rainy day, by the way, as long as you can get past some of the 90's attempt at CGI animation.) Grandma called yesterday to make sure we are doing alright. Yes, we are fine. But we've certainly had some adventures this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!