Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Life Long Learning


"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each another." -John F. Kennedy

As my time as a student draws to a close, I've been thinking a lot about the concept of lifelong learning. In fact, today, it was brought up during teacher-training. "As educators," the assistant headmaster explained, "we have a responsibility to our students to keep learning and continuing our personal development and growth." Since graduating, I have wholeheartedly missed the structure for learning that the academic setting provided me; now I must create my own structure.

The question is: how? Thus far, I've dabbled in several different things--cooking with new techniques and recipes, reading design articles that Hack Design emails me, listening to CoffeeBreak French Podcasts (These are my favorite!), and of course trying my hand at a little bit of computer coding too. The only thing my list lacks is reading.

Lately, I've been really convicted about my (lack of) reading habits. Even though I majored in English literature, I do not have the best reading habits. Shocking, I know, but true. I do read occasionally, but not quite with the same enthusiasm that I did when I was younger. However, as a leader, and now an educator(!!!), this area of my life is becoming increasingly more and more critical to cultivate and maintain; I have no excuse not to.

I've definitely found the lack of structure and accountability post-education to be challenging to work around, but through trial and error, I am figuring out tips and tricks that work best for me--like borrowing books so that I have to return them (finished and with interesting comments) within a decent time frame. Or posting my current book on Friday stats, or convincing my friends to read the same book(s) with me, or even roping Jake in for those loving reminders and encouragement that he is so good at giving. Continuing education is not easy, but with discipline and a lot of help, it can be done. And you don't even need to go to class!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!