Friday, November 1, 2013

Surprise Weekend Visit!

Here are the Stats for the week:

words written: 3370 ish
months together with Jake!: 8
tiredness: Danger Zone
reading: Country of My Skull by Antjie Krog
feeling: loved and in love
learning: to embrace spontaneity
highlight of the week: Jake's surprise visit!
texts sent over the weekend: less than 10




Jake surprised me for a visit this weekend!!! I was SO surprised! Jake hardly texted me all day Friday, which I was a little disappointed about, but I tried to be understanding because he was hanging out with his friends in this haunted valley that didn't have any service. I had just reached the realization that he probably wasn't going to talk to me before I went to bed that night, which also added to the disappointment. That evening, the fam went to the park--the boys played ultimate frisbee with the college kids and I walked around the track with my mom. When we finished walking, we watched frisbee for a little while, but it was so cold sitting on the bleachers. The game was tied 3-3 (out of eleven) and it was pretty evenly matched, so Mom and I decided to go to Eegees for bacon ranch fries.

On the way to Eegees, Jake calls me on the phone. "Hello???" Surprised that he is able to call me from a place where he allegedly has no service, a dozen questions fly out of my mouth--particularly "Wait, where are you again?" and "Are your friends okay with you ignoring them to talk to me?" He tried to explain the valley several times, but I felt more confused than ever. "Is this a bad time?" he asks. "No no no. Me and mom are at Eegees right now, but I can talk! I can talk!" I was so desperate to talk to him, though he was trying to wave me off. "Well, I can let you go..." he offers. "No no, it's fine. Really." I ask him another question."Tell me about your day first," he says, "because I have a lot to tell you." In my head, I am mentally calculating how much time we have to talk. "Well, we're getting fries right now, and I might have to take an intermission real quick so we can go pick up Dad and Cam at the park." "Intermission? Sounds great." Click. I practically yelled into the phone, "No no no, I didn't mean now-- don't hang up!" But it was too late. I was about to fire a hasty text to him when...

He walked into the door of Eegees: "Surprise!!" It took me about five seconds to register that it was really him. I cried. I definitely cried like a baby. And there was no intermediate laughing stage--I just zipped straight to crying my eyes out for like ten minutes. Then it took another ten minutes for the shock to wear off. I could hardly fathom that he was sitting there next to me, holding my hand, when he was supposed to be in a haunted valley in San Diego all day. I was so emotionally compromised, it wasn't even fair. But all is forgiven. I went out to breakfast with his family this morning, we spent all day at the park, and dinner with my family this evening. It's been so refreshing to re-charge. If I think about it too much, it doesn't feel like enough time--barely 36 hours and life returns to regular routines on Monday morning. But in my heart, I know that it is enough. Just enough time to get us to Thanksgiving.

Guys, not even kidding--I love this guy so much. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!