Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in Review

While last year was a year of freedom, I think this year was one of standing on the edge and laughing at the darkness below. As I predicted, 2014 led to many big, scary adventures that pushed me beyond the boundaries of comfort and to new heights of personal growth. I didn't believe it was possible, but 2014 was definitely bigger--a lot bigger--than 2013! I don't think I've ever felt more uncomfortable in my life!! But it was truly discomfort in the best way!

Wrapping up my college degree was definitely a big one and the roller coaster of emotions that accompanied it ranged from over the moon to "holy crap what do I do now?" I've learned a lot about staying active (physically and mentally) and lifelong learning. Summer brought a lull with it while Jake was in France and then the FIFA world cup which I watched nearly every day. As fall approached, I got a second job teaching writing at Veritas!! Lesson-planning takes up most of my time these days so I'm learning quite a bit about work-life balance(!) Finally, I've been pursuing my interest in international missions by networking, seeking mentors, and befriending refugees here in Tucson.

I am so glad I blogged my goals last January because looking back, I realized that I met almost all of them, even though I didn't have the list in front of me the whole year. I started my IRA and put away about $1,000 in it, graduated from college (!!!), began teaching in a real school, took an art class, joined a soccer team, and traveled quite a bit, including a solo trip to visit Jake in SD and a road trip just me and my bro. Whew! It's been a busy year!
My new goals include:

  • Putting another $1,000 in my IRA
  • Purchasing a passport
  • Saving $$ for an international trip
  • Keep practicing French
  • Buy/Read more books
  • Summer Job??

Predictions for next year? To be honest, I'm not really sure! I'm thinking (hoping?) it will be more mellow than the last couple years; I could use a rest! Actually, I get the sense that 2015 will be a year of preparation for whatever 2016 brings. I will likely renew my contract with Veritas for another school year of teaching experience under my belt before I pursue other teaching avenues abroad (in missions or otherwise). Financially, I'm saving up money for my international excursion(s). I don't see myself starting as many new activities or hobbies this year. I'll probably stick with soccer, practicing French, and reading when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!